Friday, July 24, 2009

Why do I write?

This was the part one of the first assignment at Writers Bureau.
The word limit was 300 words:
****************************************
I was in sixth grade when I first wrote a very forgettable poem on God. I never knew then that the act was actually a precursor to something I would enjoy immensely as an adult.
Years rolled after that poetic escapade. Long dry spells of non writing were punctuated by sporadic bursts of creativity through writing greeting cards on friends’ birthdays, writing witty four-liners for friends during parties and so on. Time flew. On my younger sister’s twenty third birthday, I wrote a poem for her. I then performed an encore for her next birthday; the time in between, however, was a literary drought.
What characterized these impulsive spurts of writings was an immense sense of satisfaction and calm I rarely felt doing anything else. The feeling was surreal, almost like home coming, as if that was where I belonged. That was something I was made for – and vice versa. My soul quenched its astral thirst every time I penned something.
On December 31st, 2003, I wrote a poem that I thought catapulted my writing to the next league and forced me to consider writing seriously. I haven’t looked back since. I wrote scores of poetry, articles, short stories and blogs.
I send my work to various websites, magazines, newspapers etc. with occasional success, most of which is non-remunerative. My biggest success so far is a short story that got selected for ‘Chicken Soup for the Indian Soul.’ Other than this, I’ve not come close to being paid for my work. As a writer, I’ve matured as much as I can on my own and feel that I need professional help to leapfrog into the next level.
The world is seldom seen through the prism of words; I want to change that.
This is where I need Writer’s Bureau; not just to hone my writing skills but also to develop in me the art of approaching a publisher or an editor with reasonable or assured success.

3 comments:

Lalit said...

You are naturally bard, Kammo...I still remember that in few mins you had scribed four-lines for each of zensar's new joinees! And the words were just fitting perfectly!

Keep doing good work, esp in poetry sections...

Poorvi Kalluri said...

I like this one! Its got a good flow.....

Bridge Soul said...

Hey, I am searching very hard to find a soft copy of your story in "chicken soup for the Indian soul", but I couldn't find it online. The story is just so wonderful and touched me.. I am very happy to see you on blog.. & even more happy to read ur blogs... Keep writing! :-)