Friday, August 27, 2004

The Realization

I took the obscure bylane
to reach the nondescript building.
Met my colleagues and friends,
who were already there waiting.

Together we all waited
for the kids to come out.
About a dozen of them came,
with a hope that would never fade out.

God hadn't been too kind to them,
they were bequeathed with misfortune.
They lived in an orphanage,
a life that played to a discordant tune.

Today was a special day for them.
On schedule was "once in a blue moon" shopping.
They all reacted differently in anticipation,
some did it by tickling and some by giggling.

We took them all to a shop
to the discomfort of many shoppers.
But the kids simply basked in the moment
with a shine on their face misfit for paupers.

Unlike other kids, these were a well-behaved lot.
They wouldn't even touch, the things they were to shop.
For a long time, I couldn't hear their voices.
Perhaps they never thought, life would give them any choices.

I wondered why two kids were very quiet.
What I found made my heart go numb.
As if being orphan was not enough,
those kids were also deaf and dumb.

We finally dropped them home.
Their hands full with stuffs they had taken.
They waved us a mirthful good-bye
as we left with a soul that was stirred and shaken.

Not long thereafter did I realize
that this was the best day of my life.
I had done something for someone,
who couldn't give back a tangible return.

I realized what joy is there in giving,
helping these kids fight against their odds.
And since kids are closer to Him;
this was a subtle way to realize the Gods.

I realized how lucky I am,
to have parents for all the love I need.
Oh Lord! I won't whine for not having shoes,
for I saw someone without feet.

No comments: