Friday, August 27, 2004

Selfishness! A Paradox

I stood first in the school.
My performance reached its peak.
Success earned me many friends.
Some true. Some fake.

'X' was one of them.
Sincere but shrewd of the lot.
He befriended me for grades as
he wanted to be nothing but a 'doc'.

"Why only a Doc?", I once asked.
A doc, as I want -
to be rich. Very rich.
to be famous.
people to know me, respect me.
people to know I'm successful.
people to envy me for what I have.

'Y' joined the school
I lost my rank to him
I lost 'X' to him.
Rather, 'X' dumped me for him.

"Selfish fellow" - 'Z' sighed.
"Naah" - I emphatically denied.

He feels happy when -
others look up to him,
others respect him,
others think he is happy,
others envy him for what he has.

He dreams of being famous
But fame is - only when 'others' are.

These 'others' are an end in itself.
His means to that end are
deceit and betrayal of these very 'others'.

He mortgages his happiness to others.
He judges himself by what others think of him.
These 'others' define his end
and the means to that end.
He lives his life for 'others'.
He is anything but selfish.
He is selfless.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!! Especially the end of the poem.I must say,reading your poems is a real treat.Do you maintain any written copy of your writings?
I have always been very fond of the hand - written word.If you have any such copies,then I would certainly love to read those

Anonymous said...

hi kamlesh.....so, how r u.....am v sorry for not responding to ur beautiful poem immdtly....was busy in settling down in NJ..yeah, i read ur poem last week only but cudn't react to it immdtly.....the reason being ...... all these days i used to refer to dictionary to u/stand some of the words from ur scribbings (pl dont mind)....but this time no dictionary cud come to my rescue ......i just needed some peaceful time to reach to the depth of ur poem.....really, it was quite hard to u/stand .....not only 1 or 2 times....but literally i mt've read it 6/8 times or even more than that .....i just cant u/stand how u can write so well yaar.....i dunno what do u visualize, how do u analyse it n what inspires u to shape up ur feelings so beautifully....i just dont've better words to express my feelings ....just hats off to u....thats it......keep going.....all our best wishes ! r always there with u....

Anonymous said...

hey this is awesome.. really wonderful..
why don't you make collection of all the poem you wrote and put it on net.. or publish..
not for getting fame or so.. but just to make people think that they can think in this way also..

its nice indeed..

Anonymous said...

Hi Kams.....

my goodness....
yaar tu saare soch kaise poetry bana raha hai re??
ye sab bilkul daily baatein hai which we come across but have never given a thot....
i dunno ur poems just speaks the inner me......
pata nahi mein kya bol rahi hoon shayad jab tere se milungi to bata paungi....

KusH said...

as usual.... :)